Wednesday, April 11, 2012

National Geographic program comments

I'll start with Cameron's documentary. First and foremost, the biggest problem I had with the program was when Cameron made his political statement. Whether or not you agree with him is not the issue. The problem I had with it is that he used a program that was supposed to be a tribute to a disaster in which 1,500 people died to make his statement. This simply isn't the place.

As for the rest of the program, if you didn't agree with him, he pretty well let you know it. I felt sorry for Ken Marschall when he kept telling him he'd have to repaint all of his paintings because a COMPUTER SIMULATION showed the breakup at a different angle. I'm not saying the simulation is right or wrong, it very well could be factual, but to me it isn't enough to be the absolute FINAL WORD on the disaster as he made it out to be.

In the end, the documentary was fine if you can stand Cameron and his ego.

Rating: 6/10

Save the Titanic, with Dr. Robert Ballard was much more interesting. It described the damage occurring to the actual ship as a result of all the visits down to the wreck. He goes around to Belfast where the ship was designed, built, and dry docked. He visited with descendants of men who were in the guarantee group, including the nephew of Thomas Andrews. To me, this was a lot more entertaining than watching a bunch of men argue about an event that none of them were even at. Ballard's concept of a "patrol unit" around Titanic was also quite interesting.

Rating: 8.5/10.

I apologize for lack of updates lately. I've been quite busy.

As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment